Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Beeper - 2002

 I was thinking of a funny trilogy or even more you could throw together with this movie.  "Movies based on passing technologies".  Obviously Feardotcom, Phone Booth, Trapped by Television, and then Beeper.  What would the sequel be?  Dial Up Internet:  The Movie?

I believe I saw a trailer for Beeper on a VHS circa 2001-2002.  Even then, Beepers were a thing of the past.  My mom had a beeper when I was in elementary school, so we're talking about the 90s there.  I understand that the tech is still around, and is sorta a joke cause its primarily used in drug trades, but hey that does not mean I can't make fun of it.

Beeper is a low budget thriller thing, decidedly low scale, in which a doctor visiting India with his son has his kid go missing when he's doing a conference and finds a ransom note.  This leads him to the cops who almost blow the deal and now its up to the doc solo to investigate this thing, with the help of a girl cop he finds and then later Harvey Keitel as a mob boss who is mostly out for himself.

Beeper, well, I wanted the beeper to be involved more first of all.  In my head this was a hilarious romp in which he's getting beeped a lot and having to call people to get directions on where to go next.  Whatever the story was I needed that tech front and center.  And it wasn't really, it gets stolen pretty early on and a lot of the movie is actually trying to track down the beeper.

Its not as funny as it could have been, and instead it waffles around as a middle of the road thriller that you'll instantly forget.  2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection - 1999

 Let's keep this streak going as long as we can huh?  Loving these dumb 90s-00s thriller horror mystery movies. Resurrection is directed...