Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Rubin & Ed - 1989

 My aunt Lucy recently recommended this to me, then the next time I saw her she had written the director of this on Facebook or something, and had obtained a signed DVD copy which I am now watching.  Weird huh?

Crispin Glover stars in this little known indie buddy comedy flick.  Made on a small budget and definitely leaning into the "weird" side of things, the movie is a road trip/buddy comedy/who knows unclassifiable niche experimental one off.  Sounds like just the sort of thing Glover would be in, right?

The strangest thing about this is the tone.  Neither character is likable, and the fights between the characters feel actually real, not in an entirely good way.  That said, the comedy also feels real and the jokes are actually funny.  The movie is a weird one, thats the bottom line, and I'm not surprised someone in my family would own a signed copy, thats for real.

Plotwise, weird loner Rubin is told by his mom he has to make a friend or he won't get his boombox back.  Realty schlup Ed is a misfit who wants to redefine his life with success after his wife left him.  They team up after Ed finds Rubin's cat dead and Rubin swipes his vehicle to go bury the cat in the desert.  Wacky shenanigans ensue from there, and some of the stuff is insane and some of it straight forward.  

Overall the script is better than it sounds and it moves quickly.  I thought this would be a super low budget mess but it's actually cohesive and I liked it more than I thought.  I'd give it a solid 3.5, and I'll tell my aunt I enjoyed it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fallen - 1998

 I'm really enjoying this weird run of unknown late 90s thrillers that were either similar to Se7en, and honestly even the Hellraiser mo...