Thursday, July 9, 2020

Don't Look Now - 1973

Does my "Don't" marathon exist without one of the BEST known films starting with the word Don't?  Arguably, the word Don't doesn't have that many known titles.  This is likely the best known one, although I wouldn't fathom a guess as to what the other known Don't movies are.

Don't Look Now stars Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie in a slow burn suspense thriller from director Nicolas Roeg.  I first run into Roeg through his film either 1) Walkabout or 2) Wake in Fright.  I honestly don't remember.  Brief IMDb access tells me it was Walkabout.  He would later be best known for the David Bowie film The Man Who Fell To Earth.

Anywho, in Don't Look Now, Sutherland is working in an old church where he is doing restorations.  This takes place somewhere in Italy I guess, though I don't remember where, or if it ever really said.  In the beginning of the film, Sutherland and Christie have their daughter drown to death and it appears as if Sutherland sort of had a premonition regarding it.  As time goes on, both he and his wife have premonitions about upcoming deaths.

The slow burning aspect of this film means we have plenty of time to sit with Sutherland and Christie, and they do have one of the best sex scenes I have ever seen in a film, period.  As time goes on, there is plenty of odd weirdness and other shit happens.  It's a almost two hour movie, and most of it moves really well.  It moves quickly and there is a lot of cool shit in here.  At some point Sutherland's wife disappears, and he has to hunt for her.

This is a classic horror suspense film, loved by Ebert and making an appearance on the 1001 Movies to See Before You Die.  It's got cult and classic appeal both, but for me, I dunno.  It seemed a bit slow.  Maybe nonsensical.  It seemed a bit unclear what was happening.  I'll give it a 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection - 1999

 Let's keep this streak going as long as we can huh?  Loving these dumb 90s-00s thriller horror mystery movies. Resurrection is directed...