Thursday, July 23, 2020

Run Lola Run - 1998

I wish I could remember how and why I ever heard of this film in the first place.  This was, for me, one of those "films that started it all".

The things this movie introduced me to:
1) Independent film
2) foreign film
3) electronic music
4) stylistic, unique visioned films

The list could probably go on, but seriously, this movie was revolutionary.  I remember showing it to tons of friends, I remember owning the soundtrack, I remember being a fan of Tom Tykwer and trying to follow his career.

The film is about Lola, a red haired young woman, who receives a call from her boyfriend in distress, he recently lost $100,000 on the subway and now he only has 20 minutes until the mafia or the collectors or whoever is going to come to get their cash.  Lola springs into action, and the movie follows three attempts of hers to come up with $100,000 in 20 minutes. 

It's all handheld cameras, interesting edits, stylistic choices.  They include animation, magic, insane beat driven electronic music, and many zany character moments.  The characters in this film are really memorable, and each one is fleshed out to an astounding degree.  And the film is just tightly edited, insanely packed with heartbeats and thrills and the unexpected and absurd.

This movie certainly was a bombshell of impact.  The beginning and the extremity of it was a huge influence on action, I specifically was thinking of Crank and other adrenaline pumped over the top action flicks during this.  The style choices were completely alien, but you could see how Quentin Tarantino definitely drew a lot of influence from this.  It's huge in it's influence.

I give it 5 stars, a true classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fallen - 1998

 I'm really enjoying this weird run of unknown late 90s thrillers that were either similar to Se7en, and honestly even the Hellraiser mo...