Thursday, October 17, 2019

The Shout - 1978

What the fuck am I watching these days?  What is the deal?  And how do all these movies even exist?  Man, I can't wait for this synopsis.

Rachel and Anthony Fielding are married, just average folks living their lives.  Anthony is a musician, and I guess and pretty avant garde one at that, because he only seems to be recording weird noises.  Bugs, wind, tin cans, etc.  Rachel is your average underdeveloped unemployed wife character, but it's also Susannah York who we just saw in Images, so that was pretty cool.

Soon enough they encounter a man, Charles Crossley, and he befriends and begins to stay with the two of them.  He spent some time with Aborigines and I think some time in a mental institution where Tim Curry works, but anyways, eventually tells Anthony that he has the ability to yell in such a way - to shout - and kill people from this. He also has other abilities, and uses them to start to seduce Rachel and to screw with Anthony's life.

This movie was, obviously, pretty fucking weird.  It ranks up there with the weirder 70's art house movies I've watched and my primary thought was, "why haven't I heard of this or seen it already?"  Also, "how in the world of fuck did this movie get made?!"  Honestly, it's got John Hurt,  Susannah York, Alan Bates, and Tim Curry.  It's not a huge budget, but excellently shot, and super weird.

It's mostly a slow burn drama with a lot of talking, but not in a bad way, and not so slow you want to shoot yourself.  It has a weird otherness to it, it has that unclear ambiguity and dreamlike quality.  The sequence of events leading up to the titular shout is really cool, and filmed way out in the beach.  There's a lot of odd memorable parts of this, even though I don't know what to think of it now.  It was definitely an oddball, and I will give it 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...