Saturday, October 12, 2019

Highway 61 - 1991

I was walking through West Oakland a few weeks ago when I found the gold mine.  The gold mine, for me, is anything that people leave at their curb.  Finding free shit is one of my biggest joys, and I indulged greatly, sifting through the discarded goods.  I found an entire box of VHS and of course took the entire thing.  And in that box was a VHS of Highway 61.

I watched this movie with my friend Matt.  We were a bit drunk, a bit out of it, and we had just watched a Tales from the Crypt VHS (also in the box I found).  We decided "lets watch something good" and put this on without knowing what it was....  and we were both very surprised.

Highway 61 is a Canadian comedy film, sort of a romantic comedy, if your idea of romance is askew and your sense of comedy is dark.  The film was independently produced, and although all the people involved have many IMDb credits, I hadn't heard of or seen any of them ever before.

Don McKellar plays Pokey, a very nondescript barber who discovers a body in a bathtub in his back yard.  Soon enough a girl named Jackie shows up and claims that the dead man is her brother.  She wants to take him to New Orleans to be buried, but has no way of getting there.  An attraction exists between the two of them, and soon enough Pokey agrees to drive her there.  In the meantime, a guy proclaiming himself to be Satan is hot on their trail to claim the dead man's soul.

Re-read that last sentence.  I think the best part of this entire movie is the bizarre level of weirdness that it has and the offbeat, unexpected turns it takes along the way.  There are a ton of super memorable moments in this movie, whether its the graveyard sex scene, the accents of the characters, the zaniness of Satan and his bingo scene, or the undeniable chemistry between the leading characters.  This movie had me at zero expectations.  And it surprised the hell out of me.

Sometimes you go into something and you're pleasantly surprised.  Sometimes you're thrilled.  But sometimes, you're almost changed for life.  This movie, honestly, was awesome.  I feel like it spoke to me in a very different way than anything else I have seen recently.  I absolutely loved it, and so did my friend Matt.  We talked about it for a really long time afterwards.  I give this movie 5 stars.  I might be overselling it but seriously, absolutely loved it.
Fuck it, I'm just going crazy with these.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...