Sunday, October 6, 2019

Monster in the Closet - 1986

Troma is up there in terms of bad movie distributors.  There are bad movie directors, bad movie studios, bad movie actors certainly, but there's not a lot of other companies known solely for distributing these awful flicks.  Of course, I speak primarily of their bad movies, but they had some decent movies in there as well, locked away, hidden, and obscured.

I guess Troma's best known feature is The Toxic Avenger.  One day I should rewatch Toxie.  I saw it in high school and I don't think I've ever seen it since.  I got introduced to Toxic Avenger and to Troma by my friend Ben, and that motherfucker I haven't even seen in like 16 or more years, so you're getting a taste for how long ago I saw Toxie.

Monster in the Closet is one of the movies that Troma did not make, they just distributed.  I think at this time they were distribution only, none of their own stuff?  I have no idea really.  Anyways, Monster in the Closet must've had some money, and I'm guessing it was from the director, who has a ton of credits as a second unit director.  They got Claude Akins, John Carradine and Harry Gibson to be in this movie somehow, and the actual actors help a lot.  Also, a kid Paul Walker is in this?!

Other than that, I am on a miniature roll right now of watching movies set in San Francisco!  And I'm doing this without even meaning to, this and Beyond the Door I had no idea were filmed around here.  This one had an actual scene at the TransAmerica Building, and a scene where it looked like it was probably on Columbus Street.  My old work neighborhood!

Basically the simple premise of this is set in the beginning; somehow a monster can seemingly appear in about any closet anywhere at any time, and kill someone there.  Relatively early, it is seen by the world and verified that yes, people are going to be knowing and believing this is a real monster, and then from there, that it's basically indestructible.  Various methods to kill it are made while in the meantime the main characters lead a group of people that are involved in all this.

This movie was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.  It is a horror comedy by intention, and I found a few parts mildly amusing as well.  Near the end, spoiler alert, they decide the only way to stop the monster is to destroy all the closets!  No closets no monster right?  I thought that was a brilliant move and a very funny sequence.  Shit, did I like this?  I guess I did huh.  Goddamn.

It's a bit uneven at times, but overall it's very well done.  It has heart and the monster suit is also great, it's silly but also practical effects and it's even slightly scary.  Shit, I'd be scared if I was a kid.  It works in other words.  I dunno.  I feel bad for giving this four stars, but uh....  I will anyways?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...