Monday, January 7, 2019

The Swiss Conspiracy - 1976

Ah, thriller genre films.  Thriller films with a decent cast, also!  Thrillers had a flash in the 70s, with a lot of the good intrigue and spy action films coming out around then.  Clearly influenced by things like Bond and it's imitators, right bam into my 1976 marathon comes The Swiss Conspiracy starring David Janssen.

David Janssen had previously been seen on Warhead starring David Janssen.  I found that film to be fun but generic, and this one will follow that straight down the line.  The Swiss Conspiracy and Warhead have another thing in common, which is that one of the coolest things about them is the place they were filmed.  Shitty films, sure, but this one was filmed around Zurich, and shots like the last one showcase the beauty of Switzerland.

John Ireland, John Saxon, Ray Milland, and directed by Jack Arnold, this movie is loaded with names.  And again, it's not a bad movie.  It's just that it's got a few flaws which in concert make for a film one wouldn't want to watch much.
Flaw one:  most of those actors are in cameo practically, and not in the film much.
Flaw two:  there's a lot of talking about the conspiracy, and in the end, a lot of it was totally unnecessary, given the way it comes out.
Flaw three:  Do I not like David Janssen?  Is he boring as fuck?  He's not a interesting actor.

There's more, but suffice to say, it's just a meh of a movie.  It has it's moments, usually with the beautiful Senta Berger or with the scenery.  I didn't pay the strictest attention, as well, I'm willing to be honest about this.  Do I intent to go back and see what I missed?  No.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...