Wednesday, January 2, 2019

C.C. and Company - 1970

Joe Namath was a ex-football star who moved into films, like so many who try to change up their career.  C.C. and Company was his second film in a relatively small Hollywood career, and although he's still around, who knows what he's doing now.

C.C. and Company is finally going back to the boxset, the Swinging 70's that's so close to being done it's fucking teasing me.  I think I have about 8 movies left or so, and shit if I can't wait to have it be done with.  How about:  New Years resolution, I'll finish this boxset by the end of February.  Gotta make easy goals people.

So what we have here is a early 70's biker flick, it's got the big ol' chopper bikes and the sideburn sporting, criminal jerks who ride them.  This movie is 100% a product of it's time, and it's the semi-noir story that we'd gotten used to in the 70's as well.  This antihero was a bit complex, perhaps he'd womanize a bit and have a shady past, but we all knew he had a heart of gold, and in the end he'd have done several redeeming actions to make us feel okay being firmly behind him.

Joe Namath stars as C.C. Ryder, which I'm guessing is a fake name, but sure sounds similar to Easy Rider huh?  Weeeiiird.  Regardless he's your average criminal biker who changes his tune when he enters a race against a bike gang to earn the admiration of Ann-Margret as Ann.  It all goes the way you'd expect with the gang coming after him for the prize money of $1000 C.C. won, and in the end the final race to decide who wins the money and the girl, double or nothing.

This is the type of movie you just watch.  You don't participate.  You don't care.  I wrote, when I was watching it, drunk:  "C.C. and Company- this is not a movie that you know what is happening or why it's happening, this is just a movie that you watch and you're aware that you're watching it."  You're aware that you're sitting there, watching a movie, and it does nothing to pull you in or include you in the film.  It's just sort of there, and the entire experience comes away as sort of another "meh" except this one is decidedly more bland than other middling experiences.

They try, and I think that's part of the problem.  They try to sell you on Namath's antics, his antihero vibes.  They give you a spot of Ann-Margret's nudity.  They have cool looking bikes and some mild action-violence.  But all in all, you're checked out, instead wondering basic things like, what exactly is up with Ryder's hair, or why does Ann even like him?  When I google this movie, I do find a lot of different old posters for it, which leads me to think they tried to market the hell out of this thing.  All money that was poorly spent, if you ask me.
I will give it a solid 2 I guess, although I am considering 1.5.  Eh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...