Friday, January 11, 2019

Mister Scarface - 1976

Italian made films from the 50-80's spanned a wide array of genres.  I had never heard the term poliziottesco before, and that's what this is exactly.  Wikipedia, if you don't want to click the link, defines it as a subgenre of crime and action films emerging in the late 60's.

Mister Scarface is one of these, and it stars Jack Palance, Al Cliver, and Henry Baer.  Palance is Manzari or "Scarface", and he's not as interesting as Al Pacino.  Not that its the same character.  Cmon dog it's a fucking joke, sort of.  Blarg.

So to again quote Wikipedia cause I'm not particularly feeling like writing, the plot is:  "Tony is a mob loan collector who is unsatisfied with his position in life, and constantly dreams of living it rich in Brazil with his brother. To make some quick cash, Tony joins the forces of organized crime, making his way up the ladder. Together with Napoli, another mob enforcer, Tony hatches a plan to con mob boss Manzari (Palance) out of a fortune, but Manzari isn't about to let that happen."

It goes about as you expect.  If you predicted this is a somewhat slow paced film, but with somewhat decent performances and a somewhat fun ending, you got three for three correct!  It's not my favorite film on the set, nor is it even worth much more effort than the minimum amount you're getting out of this pathetic attempt at a review.  I watched it at work, thus meaning the best part of the film is that I got paid to watch it.

I'll give it two stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...