Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Night of the Sharks - 1988

Night of the Sharks will join the elite group of films I have watched with people.  Also, this is my bouncing ball trick established with Hunk, where I give the 70's boxset a break and I watch something from the 80's boxset.

I had my ex-wife over, and I asked her to choose between this movie and a few others.  She chose this one, cause it was action sounding, had Treat Williams, and was generally not bad sounding.  What she didn't know?  It was filmed by some low rate Italian guy, had a fantastic 80's synthpop soundtrack, but overall was pretty lame and at 90 minutes, still way too long.

Night of the Sharks was entertaining at times, and I can't say it was all bad.  It was, however, still bad, and it was pretty dull.  The acting and the sharks are fine, but the plot and the pacing leave something to be desired.  What do they leave you desiring?  How about...uh...more?!

Treat Williams is David, who inherits a disc when his brother dies.  What he doesn't know is that on the disc is proof of an illegal gangs activities, and soon they show up to collect on it.  David also, in his profession, happens to be a shark hunter?  He chills out in his decidedly beautiful island (Dominican Republic filling in for Florida) and evades both the sharks and the gangsters.

And, it's what you expect.  The sharks are real, and well shot, but the action is not real nor well shot. I mean, it's gonna get like a 2 or a 2.5 in the end, but this isn't a fun one.  If you put this on, like I did, expecting a fun 80's movie to riff on, you may be disappointed.  I give it the lower half of those two ratings, the 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wicked Stepmother / Deadly Illusion - 1989 / 1987

 I had a Larry Cohen double feature just now, for no other reason than they were both free online and I generally like the guy.  Good thing ...