Monday, November 26, 2018

Amityville 1992: It's About Time - 1992

This isn't quite the same deal as what I'm doing right now with Friday the 13th.  I'm not, and I repeat NOT going to go through the entire 8 film original series, as well as the couple new reboots.  Fuck, Amityville, you're pulling your own weight at 10 fucking movies.  You're cropping out entire other real horror series!  How dare you.

This is the direct sequel to the other Amityville film I reviewed here, Amityville The Evil Escapes.  I didn't really know the franchise then, and I still don't, but these movies do feel like true sequels.  It's the story idea versus characters or a true connection, so this this not a series that's going to have recurring characters or a "survivor" lady or anything.  It's all over the map.

In The Evil Escapes, a generic movie family inherited a lamp which was evil and brought misfortune to everyone.  In this one, a generic movie family dad buys a clock, and it begins to bring similar evil as the lamp brought.  The clock I would say is better than the lamp, and thus this one is a little better from the get go.  The thing is still a little dumb, sure, but one thing I thought was cool was that as the clock's evil spreads, it begins to build itself into the walls, having moving clock parts and pendulums and such going on everywhere.  Also, just the fact the clock can symbolize our own mortality and the short amount of time we have to live, I'll give this more points.

Stephen Macht plays Jacob, and along with his wife and two kids, they live in some new house.  Jacob comes home with the clock, things start to go evil, and problems begin to arise.  I won't lie that this movie is extremely boring, and not very well done.  It's got plot lines that are not given enough time, it's got a lot of time where seemingly nothing happens, too long is spent on dumb sideplots that go nowhere, and shit's not great.  Jacob gets attacked by a dog early on, and is in his room recovering most the movie, while in the meantime we see most events from the lens of his wife.

The lamp has undefined powers from the get go.  Seemingly it can manifest visions that actually hurt people, much like Freddy Kruger.  It can also exert a sort of influence over people, as it does to Jacob's daughter Lisa.  It can also create boiling acid just about anywhere, as used by Lisa, and it makes you wonder, if it can do that then why bother with any of these other things?

Spoiler warning, cause the end made me mad.  In the end, it's revealed the whole movie was a dream from Jacob's wife.  Then the events of the dream start to happen in real life, Jacob comes home with the same clock.  The wife smashes it and leaves, and thus this whole movie didn't happen?  Then Jacob's son smiles at a character, hinting it did happen. It's a fucking stupid ending which only cements the fact this movie wasn't good.

Also, the title?  I mean come on.  It's About Time?  No, cause literally, it's about a clock?!  So literally it's telling you sort of what the movie is about!!  At first I hated it, now I just think it's insane.  I can imagine it now.
"What do we call this Amityville entry, Bob?"
"I dunno John.  What's this one about?"
"It's got an evil clock in it."
"So it's about time?"
"Well, not really, but sort of I guess."
"Alright.  Just put that on it.  No one's going to watch this movie anyways."

I can't rate it much higher than the last one reviewed.  In fact, I think it gets the same rating.  Certainly boring, I remember checking at least ten times to see how much of the movie was left.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wicked Stepmother / Deadly Illusion - 1989 / 1987

 I had a Larry Cohen double feature just now, for no other reason than they were both free online and I generally like the guy.  Good thing ...