Friday, March 22, 2024

Saw IV / Saw V - 2007/ 2008

 I'm going dual review because this series is not giving me a lot to say, and in fact I barely remember what happened in these films despite having just seen them recetnly.

Saw IV is really a black hole in my memory.  I believe it is the one where good cop Rigg is supposed to save a couple guys who are attached in a warehouse somewhere.  One guy has a chain around his neck, but if he dies, he electrocutes Costas Mandylor who is next to him.  There's basically no really good traps in this film, and the end is a confusing series of reveals that basically go to show that Costas is now the new killer.

Saw V has the Mandy-man back as he puts a group of five people to a test where one of them keep dying in each new room they go to, and in the meantime... hell I dunno, other traps happen I guess.  Except again, they're not especially memorable nor good.  

A huge problem is that they picked a lot of actors in these movies which look similar and have the same vibe.  Sorta cop looking brown haired men with similar levels of acting and forgettable names litter the screen, and half the time I'm like...who is that?  Then the editing style and the clusterfuck reveals in these movies just make me sit there thinking, "what? who?"

But basically they also elevate Jigsaw to a super-genius level degree, which I guess he was already, but he also could read the future to damn perfect accuracy.  They made a huge mistake obviously killing off Jigsaw too early, and these movies go to some lengths to have a reason for a flashback or a backstory or whatever, while they play a clumsy game of pin-the-franchise-on-the-new-guy, which they tried with Amanda and now Hoffman.  

These are the slogs in the series, lets hope that 6 gets better.  I give both of these about a 1.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...