Tuesday, January 29, 2019

David Copperfield - 1970

I really, really tried here.  I watched 40 or so minutes where I was actually paying attention.  I watched another 30 minutes where I was both watching it and doing stuff.  I was about 20 minutes from the end, I think when I had the raging battle going in my mind, and the thought that ended up winning out was:  just turn this the fuck off.

David Copperfield is a Charles Dickens novel.  Based upon a young man's journey into maturity, it has flashbacks of his life as well as showing him in the current present.  He's got a lot of drama to share, and it will for sure test your patience as you watch British people say British things and dress in old timey cravats and blouses.

This movie apparently had Richard Attenborough, Ron Moody and Laurence Olivier, although I'm sure these were all cameos in either flashbacks or modern day.  Mostly it's Robin Phillips as the main character David, and he's fine with the role, but it's just not that interesting.  Something like an epic novel of over 600 pages has been condensed here for a two hour made-for-TV movie, and it's just not that good?  Or I just didn't care?  Maybe both of these are the truth.

I couldn't do it, and I don't intend to finish it.  The final nail on the coffin came when I realized, I haven't been paying attention and so therefore I would need to rewatch this all again.  There's just no way.  There is literally no way that I'd sit through that again.  I wouldn't care if it was actually a really good movie, and part of me is willing to believe it is good.  It probably has the same appeal as something like Jane Eyre, but honestly, nah.  Just nah.

Rating skipped.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...