Monday, December 10, 2018

Jane Eyre - 1970

Alright, we're digging back into the realm of randomness the 70's box has delivered in it's infinite wisdom.  This time it's a made for TV adaptation of the classic story by Charlotte Bronte.

Jane Eyre (which I confused with a story by Jane Austen) is that sort of typical stuffy old timey British love story.  No wonder I confused it for Austen.  This is a genre which I haven't seen very much of, and it's pretty obvious as to why.  Unless it's a ghost story or maybe about Marquis de Sade, I'm just not that interested.

Jane Eyre is a orphan, going through hell as a young girl.  She eventually escapes that and begins working at Thornfield Hall.  Thornfield Hall is run by George C. Scott as Edward Rochester.  If you think I kept on smiling when I saw him because I thought of Dr. Strangelove, you are absolutely correct.   That aside, he does a good job as a loving but mysterious man.  Rochester and Eyre fall in love and he wants her to marry him eventually.  But turns out he has a secret, and she's about to go through a bit of a life change.

It was certainly a bit talky and very long, but I didn't hate this.  It's so simple and well acted that it's hard to have any violent reaction to.  I mean sure, I wanted to dislike this as a 2018 rebel who might still be considered a youth to some.  But I don't know.  It's certainly not offensive. It just sits there light as day, no glaring omissions or issues, and it presents a story of some people who have issues but ultimately, who the fuck doesn't?

One thing which I sort of hate about these older style things is that people fall in love and get married at the drop of a hat, and we're supposed to buy that this is real and legit and it's destined and will last forever.  It's seriously like after talking for 3 weeks and having a few mild flirts they can assess that they truly love each other.  Then they just get married immediately, and hey whadayaknow it was real love and they live happily ever after.  It's a gripe about the idea in general, not specifically just this movie.

When I have no effects or whatever to write about these certainly get shorter huh?  Oh, it did have music by John Williams.  So, that was cool.  I'll give it a 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...