Friday, December 7, 2018

Good Against Evil - 1977

Well now, here we are with another basic as fuck name.  What was the other one?  Ohh yeah!  Stunts.  Pretty plain right there.  And this, well shit it's about good guys fighting bad guys.  But since the devil or whatever is involved it's the "evil" concept.

I wonder, again, if there's a movie called "Good guys fighting bad guys"?  Well that's it guys! I finally stumped IMDb.  I finally got so basic that there is no movie on IMDb called that.  In fact there's not even a "good guys against bad buys".  There is however "The Good Guys and the Bad Guys" starring Robert Mitchum.  I vote that for the inclusion on this blog, I watch it.  What say you?

Back to this movie.  Good Against Evil.  Now, here is something I've been struggling with.  I want to watch horror movies.  This Swinging 70's set doesn't have much in the way of that.  So I scoured the description booklet for something that sounded like a horror movie.  I found a few candidates, and this one won out.  It said it had exorcism and cults and Dack Rambo, how could I say no?!  Y'all know I love me some Dack.  Or is that dick I love?  Therein the question.

This is for sure an awesome idea they had here.  What this is, as I've mentioned many a time on here, is another fucking TV pilot they turned into a movie.  And it would've been pretty good as a show, I think!  The Exorcist had come out, The Omen had come out, they had been popular, and how could we translate that fad onto the TV so that everyone everywhere could watch it?

The answer came, as it always does, in Dack Rambo.  What a cool name!  Okay no, but the idea is that there's this girl who is being watched by this cult.  She's their sacrificial virgin or something, and they need to control her life.  They say early on they have to make sure she does the right things, and obviously keeps herself pure for their purpose.  But then Dacky Duck intervenes and meets the girl and they quickly fall in love.  The cult says no no and they try to get a horse to stomp Dack, then later they end up hypnotizing the girl and steal her away.  Now Dack has to get her back!

That would conceivably be like the first two episodes or the first 50 minute episode.  Episode two, girl has been kidnapped, and on his way to track her down he runs into old flame Kim Cattrall.  Kim's daughter has been writing pentagrams and otherwise acting evil, and there's getting the priest, there's the exorcism, and then Kim wants Dack to stay but he's too set on his first love, and so he parts ways to find her, and...that's it, we end on the cliffhanger since that's all the show they filmed.

I guess Dack would follow the cult and the girl from spot to spot, encountering their evil roadblocks and trying to figure out the grand scheme of things.  Presumably she'd find out she's the sacrificial virgin along the way, and develop a way to stop being hypnotized, etc.  Now, hear me out - this is an awesome idea for a show!  A show where literally the whole horror genre could be at your disposal, cause you could say the cult just "taps into that demon" and uses it against Dack.  They could grab an ancient book, summon a golem, or maybe a ghost, and then Dack would find an occult book or spell and fight it, next episode it's saving a child who can't talk because of some spell, etc.  Sounds like a fun show to me!  And there's not a lot of horror themed shows in general, definitely not from the 70's.

Despite sounding off about how cool this was, it's wasn't a great movie per-say.  It was too slow in the beginning, drastically changing tone later.  It was hard to follow at times.  They really rushed the love story of the two characters, but I get it too.  They wanted to get right to the horror, which I do appreciate.  It was surprisingly good looking and somewhat creepy, for a TV show.  High budgeted.  The acting and the look of it were good too.  I don't know!  I may have liked this.  But yeah, dude, the pacing was pretty awful for the first 45 minutes or so.  In the end I think it's around a 3 or 3.5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...