Monday, January 7, 2019

Jory - 1973

I had a mini marathon of the 70's set to begin the new year, and first it was Jory!  I'm trying to get enthused about this review and it ain't happening so let's get to the nitty gritty eh?

Jory is a 15 year old kid, played by Robby Benson, who we had previously seen on the boxset in The Death of Richie.  In that movie, he could certainly act, even if he did go a tiny bit overboard sometimes, but I might attribute that to them making a film about drugs when they had no idea what they were talking about.

In the beginning of Jory, Jory and his father are in a bar, and the father is killed for playing Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata on the piano.  Quite a reason to be killed huh?  Anyways, Jory is sad, and eventually drifts to another father figure, this one too is eventually killed.  Jory can handle a gun, and this gets him noticed by an older ranch hand, and hired on to protect a girl about his age.  There's outlaws around though, and soon this situation is threatened as well.

It's a coming of age story, and although it's not on IMDb nor Wikipedia, Google says it was supposed to take place in Santa Rosa, California.  Santa Rosa is where I spent most of my life growing up, and despite the fact that when I lived there it was some bland outlier to the greater bay area, in this film it looks pretty cool.

What to say about this....  Jory is not a unlikable film.  It seems to follow the trend on this boxset with the serious movies actually having decent drama, making you care about some of the characters, and making you feel emphatic towards their realistic storyline.  I don't know what to knock it for, but it's also not going to make anyone love it.  It feels very thought out, and given it's based on a book, makes sense huh?  As the movie ends and the credits roll to someone's song they wrote for the movie, you just end up thinking, 'man, life sure used to suck, huh?'

I'll give it a bit above average.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...