Friday, October 27, 2023

Rambo III - 1988

 Everyone knows First Blood, it's the actually good overlooked psychological look in on a veteran who returns home and faces difficulty from a cop. 

Part two that same veteran is sent to rescue POWs in Vietnam. It's a steep drop off from the first. Then... what the fuck happens in part 3?!  That is why I'm choosing to review that one even though I watched all 3. 

Rambo 3 is the one where Colonel Troutman gets kidnapped while he's sent on a mission and then Rambo choses to go in and rescue him alone. That's the gist of this one. But as I started it I just kept wondering is this one any good or do I just forget about it constantly, is it just too much of the same thing?

For both 2 and 3, these movies had been on a trajectory of losing dramatic interest and instead opting for action.  I think that the reason this one jumps the shark is because it takes a relative side character in Troutman and not only focuses a lot on him but chooses to do so in an action lens. Richard Crenna is a good actor and the movie is not terribly written but I think I end up not caring because it's not what I came for.

Troutman is the secondary character in this, and beyond that you have some Middle Eastern family that Rambo's sort of adopted.  I only now realize both 2 and 3 don't really have central villains... They're fighting governments, lands, entities. The first movie had Brian Dennehy. Just something to note. 

Rambo 3 is fine to put on in the background and it's very forgettable but it's not like it's going to hurt you.  It's still better than Rambo and the recent Rambo Last Blood. I'll give it a 2.5


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fallen - 1998

 I'm really enjoying this weird run of unknown late 90s thrillers that were either similar to Se7en, and honestly even the Hellraiser mo...