Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Ring of Terror - 1962

 I'm going through this new boxset right now, and it had a MST3K film in it, Ring of Terror.  Fuck it dude.  I'm a veteran of these boxsets and I voted that I could just rewatch the MST3K version. 

Ring of Terror is not one of my favorite MST3K films.  I cannot imagine this movie without the treatment these guys did on it, it's just a bad bad movie.  This was the episode that gave us the long-running "Puma!" callback they did for a while, that and the constant jokes about the age of the actors are the best jokes from this MST.

Ring of Terror aside from that is an insufferably long, slow movie about college medical students who are joining a frat and must pass their initiation tests.  There's a few of them thrust into this, and each one is tested to their own strengths and weaknesses pretty much, and that's basically all there is to it.  

The truth about the MST3K "old" jokes is very true.  According to what I can see here, some of the actors playing college students were in their 30s or even 40s.  That's problem number 1.  Problems 2, there is just not enough here to make this even marginally interesting, let alone scary.  This is like a supposed thriller drama with absolutely zero thrills and very sparse drama even.  

If I had watched the movie without MST aid it would for sure be a zero.  The MST version is barely a 2, its not my fave episode.  So, yeah, zero for this clunker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection - 1999

 Let's keep this streak going as long as we can huh?  Loving these dumb 90s-00s thriller horror mystery movies. Resurrection is directed...