Friday, February 24, 2023

Mistress of Atlantis - 1932

Part two of oldy-timey excursions on this set is this set, after The Lost City, this too is about Atlantis. 

In this bizarre remake, a group of explorers is wandering through the Sahara desert, as people do, and they find a mysterious entrance to Atlantis. Turns out Atlantis is run by a evil acting queen, and now they have to conflict with her in their quest to escape and survive. 

This movie does have a strange look to it, probably from the age, where people move in unnatural ways, choppy and odd, which really helped it. Especially with the Atlantians, it gave them an otherworldly and demonic presence.  

Otherwise, this is a often done plot, though I suppose this was one of the first in actuality. I wonder what the big deal with Atlantis was in the early 1900s? 

This is a bit slow and it's a product of its time. I can't slam it. I again wonder the usual stuff, like how well known this is, what it's individual legacy is. Will anyone ever rewatch it, relish in it?

I did find a review on IMDb where someone raved about it though, and frankly, that kinda stuff makes my heart swoon. Its not for me really, but I'm glad there's someone out there where it IS for them. 

I'll give it 2 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection - 1999

 Let's keep this streak going as long as we can huh?  Loving these dumb 90s-00s thriller horror mystery movies. Resurrection is directed...