Friday, June 5, 2020

The Suckling - 1990

I've had movies be reviewed multiple times on this site but I don't know if I've completely changed my mind on any. I re-watched The Suckling, which is not one that I ever thought I would re-watch. My original review spoke so negatively of it that I actually think I must have watched something else. This movie didn't seem familiar at all.

What you have is the story of a woman who goes to a crazy abortionist in the very beginning and in possibly some of the most graphic fashion I've ever seen we see an aborted fetus get dumped down the tubes. The fetus somehow comes alive and starts to mutate, with no explanation that I could remember.  Then it attacks a whorehouse full of random people... Yes we're talking a movie that is riding that self-aware wave.

But it's not bad. The music in the beginning is great, the acting is all over the place, but is often so bad it's good, the effects are amazing. I'm sure  this person must have come from an effects background. I already know without checking that these effects guys have worked on other things and are probably well known.

Eventually we get stuck where it's a bunch of guys in a locked house talking, and sometimes the dialogue and the pacing isn't the best, but I think they also knew that it wasn't going to be so they tried to keep things happening throughout. A lot of times the politics of the group in the house as well as the overall threat of the monster are both entertaining enough to keep it from getting too dull.

I'm fucking convinced that I haven't seen this before and it would for sure be a great midnight movie type of thing. Drinky, Smokey, Friends one, sort of pay attention and sort of do something else. Four stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection - 1999

 Let's keep this streak going as long as we can huh?  Loving these dumb 90s-00s thriller horror mystery movies. Resurrection is directed...