Wednesday, May 17, 2023

The Bear - 1988

 I have been once again collecting VHS that I see around, as I mentioned earlier.  I have about 11 more, and I do intend to keep this going, as I like the gear shift that comes with random VHS.

The nature documentary is not a new genre, though it has regained popularity with Planet Earth et all that have been coming out recently.  This is not a documentary, but it is very close.  Minimal dialogue, music, and even a respectful non-invasive method of filming make it spiritually akin to the real thing.  Jean Jacques Annaud directs this extremely realisitc film.

The Bear stars real bear Bart, who I just read was considered for a Academy Award nomination for his role, until the Academy decided non-humans could not be nominated.  Real story.  Bart is a big ol' bear that a cub finds when its mom is killed by a couple humans who are going around hunting bears.  The two of them go around and do bear things while in the meantime the two hunters are still out there, guns loaded.

This is very minimal, as already stated.  That is a real bonus for it.  The bear is also real, as is the cub, and that makes it really cool to watch.  This could never be made with CGI, if it was it would completely suck.  Instead, its fucking fantastic, beautiful and really captivating.  The movie moves at its own contemplative, meditative pace, and varies between tension and elatedness a lot.

The Bear is a unique film that you should probably watch, and I really enjoyed it. 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fallen - 1998

 I'm really enjoying this weird run of unknown late 90s thrillers that were either similar to Se7en, and honestly even the Hellraiser mo...