Thursday, August 25, 2022

The Man with the Golden Gun - 1974

 I mean, it's Bond and I'd likely seen this at least 4 times before, but fuck dude, I still guessed the year and I was still right.  A guy knows when he is good.

This is basically a bump and a recognition that, although it has been said many times, I'm going to be going slower, and the blog may end.  We will see, but I am dating and busy, and I got no time for movies, let alone writing about them.  I always have the want to, but sometimes life takes over, eh?

The Man with the Golden Gun was the introduction of Roger Moore to the role of James Bond, and if you are a Bond guy I will recommend the documentary about George Lazenby on Hulu.  Despite it trying to be funny, it's overall pretty good still and worth seeing.  He seems like he had a pretty damn idyllic life.

Christopher Lee is Scaramanga, a man with a third nipple (!) that is evil and Bond has to get to.  He does this with his usual Bond-isms, that is seducing women, somehow defeating highly trained kung-fu artists, and the like.  This one ranks high on the list of absurd Bond tropes, including a part where he is inches away from Herve Villachez as Micmac killing him.  "Not here" yells the boss.  Guys, just fucking kill him will ya?

The Bond series is a strange one, and as I was explaining to my new gf, the thing I love the most about it is the time stamp that they all have on them, showing something about the time they were made.  This one is borrowing heavily from the popularization of kung fu, it has excellent set pieces in Thailand and such, and even uses a partially sunken boat as a set.  Super, super cool.

I didn't pay the strictest attention, but it's Bond, and it's always a fun time.  3.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fallen - 1998

 I'm really enjoying this weird run of unknown late 90s thrillers that were either similar to Se7en, and honestly even the Hellraiser mo...