Friday, August 26, 2022

Roadgames - 1981

 I forgot I watched this until just now when I saw the name Stacy Keach and was like "oh cool another Stacy Keach movie!"  

I miss movies like this.  So much.  This is what I love about 70's movies, when it's done right.  This is a character piece first, everything else second.  We follow truck driver Stacy Keach as Patrick Quid as he drives along, jovial as can be but with a clearly shady past.  He is painted so well in the span of this movie, but it never feels forced or faked.  We learn little in reality, but with nuance in script and acting we are made to infer more.  Which I just love.

We follow Patrick as one day he watches a woman going to a hotel with a man.  He shakes his head and wishes that for himself, goes to sleep, and wakes to witness nothing really extraordinary, black bags left by the trashcan, the man who went into the room watching them... and a dog taking a curious interest in the bags.  

As he drives, a radio broadcast tells of a string of missing women in the area, a serial killer, and pretty soon in mostly dialogue to his dog and a few hitchhikers (Hitch, he calls them) Patrick begins to suspect the man he witnessed is the killer in question.  He picks up Jamie Lee Curtis at the 45 minute mark, and the two of them quickly form an attraction, and when he tells her about his suspect, she joins his strange quest to prove their suspicions.

There are very few characters in the movie, most of the movie takes place in the cab of Patrick's truck cab, and almost everything plot related moves through dialogue.  The minimalism of this film is staggering, and it delivers so well that you'll marvel at the abilities.  I had heard of it for a long time, and I'm glad I finally watched it.  I give it 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fallen - 1998

 I'm really enjoying this weird run of unknown late 90s thrillers that were either similar to Se7en, and honestly even the Hellraiser mo...