Thursday, February 25, 2021

Maneater - 1969

Also known as: Shark!

I'd long heard that Indiana Jones might have been played by Burt Reynolds. Burt was on the list for possibilities and Harrison Ford got the role instead. By the way, I'm trademarking the name Harrison Fold for my origami team.

Maneater is a weird weird film. Italian and reeking of it, Maneater is a dirty smudged celluloid treasure of yesteryear looks like it was filmed on stock covered in rum. The actors in this are dirty, hairy, sweaty, and look like dry fish.

Burt Reynolds walks around this port town, looking for cash or drinks. He bumps into a thieving kid, he begins to romance this local woman, and he gets drunk plenty. Eventually he gets connected to this plot to go into a sunken shipwreck and get out gold bars that were in the ship and remain unclaimed.

The idea I guess is that with the sharks around and the thrills coming from there, this was a action adventure thriller? A pre-Jaws shark thriller, and bringing some of the 70's action to the scene? There is basically no horror in this, although when you see the sharks and the humans interacting, it looks friggin' sick. Hey guys, the word sick? It's coming back.

Hm. Dunno. I will say, the ending was pretty cool. Spoilers here but I like the anti-ending idea quite a bit. The girl double crossed the guy and they had a confrontation and when it all comes down to it in the end, she takes the money and goes off, leaving him on a stranded ship. She wins instead of our hero. I love it! How many movies truly end with the good guy not winning? It's crazy how uncommon that kinda film is.

I'd say this was ok. It was what you expect, maybe a little more or less sometimes. I'll give it a solid 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fallen - 1998

 I'm really enjoying this weird run of unknown late 90s thrillers that were either similar to Se7en, and honestly even the Hellraiser mo...