Thursday, February 25, 2021

Critters 3 - 1991

The library held my reserves for me as they advertised online. When I walked in, I nodded to the Hawaiian shirt wearing guy in glasses that normally checked out my rentals. He nodded back in silent approval, "That guy is back."

The three titles on hold stood out on the shelf, but I wanted more. I went through the rows, discounting the Criterion usuals I might have picked up, instead picking up a James Dean movie randomly. Would I finally get around to watching Rebel Without a Cause? I also landed on Critters 3. Critters 3 on the DVD case said boldly "Leonardo DiCaprio's first major role!" I figured what the hell.

Critters 3 picks up where the others left off, which in this case is unknown. I'm not going to watch them, and I don't care. Either way there is some flashback footage early on in the film, and we gather that unknown weirdo Charlie has been hunting the Critters. The Critters get onto a RV that's heading home from a camping trip and soon enough the Critters are infesting a rat-ridden fleabag hotel in New York...or somewhere I guess.

The movie takes a while to get to the building and then wears out it's idea quick. There is some tiny critter violence, there's a few clever moments I guess, there's some bad comedy. DiCaprio is the landlords stepson and hence he is involved in the plot. There is a girl he's into and there is the critters around, and overall it's fast paced enough.

The overall takeaway here is that we're three sequels in and this one isn't bad. It's not scary though, and it's not funny, so instead it's just a unfunny unscary movie trying to be something it's not. Which is to say, I guess, that it fails? Technically? But it's aight. 2.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fallen - 1998

 I'm really enjoying this weird run of unknown late 90s thrillers that were either similar to Se7en, and honestly even the Hellraiser mo...