Saturday, July 18, 2020

The Man They Could Not Hang - 1939

This is a retro-ass movie I rented on a multi DVD pack, all films with Boris Karloff.  I put this on and much to my delight it was just over an hour!

In this one, Boris Karloff plays Dr. Savaard.  He is a surgeon looking to restore life in recently deceased people.  He can't get a specimen which died in a scientifically beneficial way to go with his research, so he enlists a volunteer who he will kill in a good, sciency way, and then bring that dude back to life.

But, the wife of the volunteer goes to the cops and they all rush to the help of the dead man, and Dr. Savaard gets arrested and put to death for manslaughter.  Of course, Savaard himself is then brought back to life by his assistant, and he goes on a revenge murder spree to get even with the jurors, the judge, and those who wronged him!

This is a fast moving, fun flick.  It being only an hour was a surprise, and it fits in perfectly since I've been watching season 4 of the Twilight Zone, the one that has hour long episodes.  The ending was extremely abrupt, and it felt like they just cut off the last reel of the film, but hey, whatever, I'll take it.

I'd say that I was surprised at how dark it was and how fast paced it was, given the year.  I think 40s and I think talky, bland and boring.  The jury scene was perhaps a bit long, and in a modern remake that would be about 7 minutes and then more time would be spent on the deaths later, but it was interesting enough the first go round to keep me interested in the jury shit.  I give it 3.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection - 1999

 Let's keep this streak going as long as we can huh?  Loving these dumb 90s-00s thriller horror mystery movies. Resurrection is directed...