Thursday, January 2, 2020

Liar's Moon - 1982

I guessed much later on in the 80's...  Also, fuck dude, I completely forgot I watched this movie.  As in, the only reason I remembered was I looked at the DVD earlier today.

Matt Dillon stars in Liar's Moon, also starring Cindy Fisher.  I didn't really know what to expect early on, seemed like a coming of age story.  And it is, at the heart it's the story of a teenage romance between Matt Dillon and Cindy Fisher.  Her father would rather she be with someone richer, but she loves Dillon, and complications arise.  Down the road even further complications are coming...

The movie is, in a word, average.  The teenage lovers are played to the height of their intelligence by Fisher and Dillon, and shit's all what youd expect for quite a long time.  Dillon and Fisher's friends agree to help it "seem" like Fisher is still dating her dad's boyfriend pick, resulting in a somewhat funny drinking scene at a high school dance.

And... spoiler warning...

The twist is pretty fucking crazy.  It sneaks up and comes out of nowhere, and the twist being that Matt Dillon and Cindy Fisher are secretly brother and sister.  They only find out when Cindy becomes pregnant and, in tears, Cindy's mom tells her that she lied to her husband, he is not Matt Dillon's father. 
I just have to figure this out.. Matt Dillon's mom fucked Cindy's dad. Then Cindy's parents came to terms with it but Matt Dillon's mom simply never told the dad...? I think?

Then, further spoilers as Cindy and Matt decide to have the baby anyways???!

Spoilers over, but what a fucking ending.  Sufficient to say, I did not see it coming.  Given that, it stands out quite a bit and I wonder what the message was supposed to be...?  It's not like that is enough to make it a great movie or anything though.  I still only give it 2.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection - 1999

 Let's keep this streak going as long as we can huh?  Loving these dumb 90s-00s thriller horror mystery movies. Resurrection is directed...