Friday, June 7, 2019

Contract Killer - 1998

Also known as Hitman.

I'm looking for ways to kill time at work lately.  Browsing the internet, seeing all sorts of random ass sites.  But how many times can someone really check the weather, their bank balance, and read articles on The Guardian?  For me, I get burnt out on that easily, and the idea of a movie pops to mind.

I watched the Jackie Chan favorite Wheels on Meals yesterday.  I mention that because in my mind, this one is going to be "going up against" Meals.  And honestly, I'd have a lot more to say about Meals.  Jackie Chan's movies are more comedy-focused, and with excellent timing, and even more action, oddly enough.

Contract Killer has Jet Li as an ex-soldier living in a halfway house where he takes oddjobs, and eventually he hears of a $100 million dollar reward for finding the murderer of a local mob boss.  Jet Li is almost immediately recruited by con man and general trouble-maker Ngok Lo, although in the English dub they called him Arthur or something like that.  Amazon didn't even give me a choice on dubbing versus subbing on this or Meals.

Like I was saying, it oddly doesn't seem to have a ton of action either?  It's a blend of a comedy, a crime thriller, and a action movie, but there's really only 2-3 fight sequences, and the big one being saved for the end of course.  Jet Li has great abilities of course, never explained in this movie, but it's fine, and we watch him kick ass a few times.  It's all well and good.

The day when I was a Jet Li fan was about at age 20 or so I would think.  Hero came out, he had a flash-in-the-pan popularity, but I went back and watched his older flicks.  I still remember Once Upon a Time in China 1-3 being awesome.

I should say, the soundtrack to this was also pretty awful.  They have this late 90's rap that's just laughable.  Well...  Not much else to say about this.    Mainly a bump on the blog to assure people I'm still alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection - 1999

 Let's keep this streak going as long as we can huh?  Loving these dumb 90s-00s thriller horror mystery movies. Resurrection is directed...