Thursday, April 11, 2019

The Clones of Bruce Lee - 1980

Straight outta Wikipedia:

"The film gathers together several of the many Lee imitators who sprang up after the icon's death (including Bruce Le and Dragon Lee), alongside performers from the real Lee's films and other veterans of the Hong Kong movie industry. It has been called The Mount Rushmore of Bruceploitation films."

This is jumping around hugely from what I've been reviewing lately, but hey, I got no fucking contract to fulfill or whatnot here.  I felt like idle nonsense, and I watched idle nonsense.  Brucesploitation is a subgenre of film I have explored here, and without checking first, I'm going to say it was 2015.  I mean honestly, it's been a while.  It was 2015 or 2016.  And it was...  again, I'm not looking.  Something about a Tiger?  Challenge of the Tiger.  Final answer.  Okay, let's check.

2015, I was right there, but the name I totally got wrong.  Spirit of Bruce Lee from 1973.  Without re-reading that review, I remember it was about the spirit of Bruce Lee inhabiting some guy and getting revenge for something.  And I gave it one star.  Reread the review just now, I also got the plot wrong.  Okay, fuck it I give up.  However, Challenge of the Tiger is another martial arts film I have seen, so I guess I got them confused.

In this one, Bruce Lee is actually dead, but skin cells are taken from him and three clones are made.  These clones are played by Brucesploitation actors Bruce Le, Dragon Lee and Bruce Lai.  They are trained by a cool old guy, and when they're ready, they're sent out to do battle.  They get different assignments, and we primarily follow Bruce Le on his quests.  Eventually, they do battle amongst each other as well, so there's that, if you want it.
I have to say, first off, there are actual moments in this where the actors they got do look like Bruce Lee.  They mimic his facial expressions very well, his attitude, his style of carrying himself.  No, it's not just cause all Asian people look the same.  Bolo Yeung is also in this, and the movie also has plenty of nudity!  It's like everything a guy like me needs, all in one convenient spot.

The action gets old though, it's not the style that made Bruce Lee movies fun to watch, but rather the older type of martial arts where nothing seems to ever hurt anyone.  They also are obviously going for gimmick here, and it's shown later too as they fight men made of bronze, and a mad scientist gets ahold of them.  It's kinda dumb, and the action kinda sucks.

I'll give it a decent 3 stars though, cause it is fun to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fallen - 1998

 I'm really enjoying this weird run of unknown late 90s thrillers that were either similar to Se7en, and honestly even the Hellraiser mo...