Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Let Sleeping Corpses Lie - 1974

Also known as, and I quote Wikipedia here: "In total, the film was released under more than 15 different titles internationally." So in other words, a lot.  One of those happens to be Don't Open the Window.  Don't... returns.

I was reading about this on Wikipedia, like I was saying, and I found something.  Something which, if I was cooler, I may have known about before.  In the 2007 release of Grindhouse, it's well known that they made a bunch of fake movie trailers to be shown in the mix of those movies, to give a somewhat authentic experience of the 70's.  One of those was a fake trailer for the movie Don't.  I have to say, this is remarkably prescient of what I've been saying about this series.  For further breakdowns of Don't movies, see this and this.

Sleeping Corpses was absolutely titled wrong if it was ever called Don't Open the Window, and I struggle to think of why you'd ever make that name be your alternate title.  There was maybe one scene with a window in the entire film. This was not only falsely lumped in with other Don't movies, this was lumped into the astronomically huge Zombie or Zombi series, which itself is a fucking disaster zone of alternate titles, false sequels, and various other shrug-inducing antics.
I should see all of these, right?

So hence, I should maybe include my links to Zombie and to another version of Zombie 3 I've seen, Nightmare City?   Okay, this is getting old.  But I find it fascinating.  You just don't see this sort of massive false advertising and fake sequels anymore.  There's a whole different era of movies that existed before us.  And an era before that, and one before that, and shit, it's amazing yo!

George and Edna are thrown together in the beginning of this movie because Edna hits George's bike.  They drive to the remote countryside, get lost, and discover some scientists using utlrasonic radiation to kill bugs.  Edna starts seeing a creepy guy wandering around, and he comes after her all zombie like, but no one believes her.  Soon enough, the cops get angry at the antics of Edna and George and go after them, while in the meantime zombies keep getting raised from the dead and going after everyone else!

This one was fast paced, quick and fun.  It's another worthy entry into the zombie movies we all know and love, and it stands the test of time.  Main characters that are likable, good music and sound effects, minimal in approach, great location, it's got it all.  It's a movie that would look exactly the same if you made it now, just add in two lines of dialogue about how their cell phones don't work, obviously cause they're in the middle of nowhere.

I have virtually no complaints.  It was solidly entertaining and I'd highly recommend it for people who love a zombie movie.  It was on my list a long time, and I'm glad I get to check it off and give it a...huh 4 or 5 star rating.  I guess 4.5 it is.  Really solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wicked Stepmother / Deadly Illusion - 1989 / 1987

 I had a Larry Cohen double feature just now, for no other reason than they were both free online and I generally like the guy.  Good thing ...