Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Witchboard - 1986

Am I still doing my 1986 marathon?  I guess I'm not, huh?  I started a 1976 marathon, I started watching a bunch of boxsets, I stopped writing in this blog as much, a lot of things have happened.  My life is quite complicated.  Lots of half finished projects.

My blog research shows me my 1986 marathon actually ended pretty much in 2016.  I suppose I only did it around my 30th birthday.  Ultimately, 1986 is a not-too-obscure year for me to marathon films from.  I also sound way nerdier and weirder when I tell people I am marathoning 1976 movies, and that I'm going to essentially be doing so until I turn 40 in 2026.  It's been almost a year since I saw The Wraith, the last 1986 movie reviewed in this blog.

I had my friend Jason over last night.  He was depressed and anxious, and having girl issues.  We went to Burger King, drank many a beer, and I put on Witchboard in the background.  Overall, I paid more attention than him, and I'm deciding it was enough attention to warrant a blog entry about it.  A movie like this really doesn't deserve much more attention than the meager amount I was willing to give it, after all.

In the beginning of Witchboard, a group of friends are at a party and eventually they bust out the ol' Ouija board and decide to conjure some ghosts.  The main girl gets infested by a ghost, and the rest of the flick you can pretty much guess at.  It's friends and unknowing female host running around, ghost icing people, Ouija scenes that give vague answers and then promptly end in a jump scare that is not scary, and some good old fashioned dull dialogue.

The kills were meh to terrible.  I do like watching movies with someone who loves bad horror, cause we watched the last death in the movie like 4 times. Clearly it was one of the terrible deaths.  Which gives this some culty drinky smoky type appeal, but there's faster paced, more effects films out there for you and your stonified friends.  Even other films by the same director, such as Night of the Demons.

It wasn't that bad, it wasn't that good, 1.5 stars is about right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...