Monday, February 13, 2017

Demon Witch Child - 1975

Also known as "The Possessed".

Blind Dead films director Amando De Ossorio "pays homage" to The Exorcist by pretty much ripping it off in this beyond crumby Italian film.  Getting right to the plot on this one I guess!

I went to one of the Bay Area's hip movie stores with the wife a while back (actually more like over a year ago) and I was feeling rich, or I must've had money, cause I bought like 3 DVDs.  One of them was what I thought was an entire boxset, turned out is was just one part of this boxset.  However, it was still 4 movies on a double sided DVD, and I got Demon Witch Child as one of those movie (oh joy).

Demon Witch Child is a very directly named film, one that obviously has a lot of other titles to it, as you can tell by just looking at the thing.  It's below second, below third rate in it's existence, but you know, it is what it is and a bad movie veteran like me was able to watch it no problem.

The actors were actually in things in Spain, and like I said the director has done other things.  The Blind Dead series is one of those that's semi well known in the cult film circles, and one of the few series that was all made and directed by the same person.

I guess I'm straying from the movie here.  Not a ton to say about it.  Really awful makeup on a young girl makes her into a balding witch woman, who is evil and running amok in town.  There is the obligatory exorcism scene, early on, which doesn't pan out, and in general there's a lot more of the demon up and about in this one than The Exorcist.

Imagine if you will The Exorcist, but way more talky, with less interest factor, bad makeup, and no real thrills to be had, and that's just about what this movie is.  It's pretty bland and banal, but it's not the worst thing ever made.  It's a lot like any other rip off of any other movie ever made really, when it comes down to it.

Nothing stood out except how shitty the quality of the DVD was, and this is really one where it's almost too bad to even watch, so I can't say I recommend this boxset.  Oh and don't worry, I still have ones from that *other* boxset still to come!  This one gets, uh..........1.5 stars?

1 comment:

  1. You just don't get it, do ya? To each his own, but aside from ripping the technical merits and stilted dubbing of this film, maybe try appreciating it's absolute freakiness, genuinely scary moments and near surreal atmosphere. The very qualities you're insulting it for, actually helps it create a unique and at times, frightening viewing experience

    I've loved horror films since I was around 6 in 1972. Tales From The Crypt (Collins, Pat M. Sir RR) was my first and it's been a lifelong love affair with the macabre ever since. I never knew of "Demon Witch Child" and, you know, after "seeing it all" through the years,it's more difficult to impress me or affect my senses. Yet this one did.

    I was very happily surprised by the palpable effect this film provided. But, you know, you have to go in, not so set to scoff and criticize. For me, this flick would make a fantastic Halloween release from Vinegar Syndrome, Scorpion or Scream Factory. And I'd buy it in a second!
    Marc

    ReplyDelete

Saw IV / Saw V - 2007/ 2008

 I'm going dual review because this series is not giving me a lot to say, and in fact I barely remember what happened in these films des...