Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Maciste in Hell - 1925

Damn yo, I guessed the year right first try!

This is on the boxset and I ask you is hell not the ultimate Nightmare World?  I say it is.

Maciste is an Italian hero from the silent film era, and in this he is brought down to hell by Satan to get tested by the creatures down there.  He is put through tests both spiritual and physical, and must endure with only his strength of body and will.  

There was a funny slide in this movie that described Maciste, it was a while ago and I didn't write it down but it was something like "Maciste with his power slightly more than average man".  I just liked that they basically downplayed him like, guys he isn't that strong.  Just a bit.

Hell in this movie is pretty badass I have to say.  A lot of the imagery was based on an Italian artist Gustave Dore, and this shit does look like the movie in a way:


This movie's got a bit of tinting to it as well, it was black and white but early on it's more like yellow and black, then hell is definitely red and black.  With cool costumes and satanic things all around, with a frame rate that makes things move quick and choppy, hell indeed looks brutal as fuck.  Surprising also is that hell has scantily clad women!

I have not seen a ton of black and white silent films, but if someone made a list of films stylistically akin and fast paced like this, I would check some of them out!  This is damn entertaining!  I'll give it 4 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection - 1999

 Let's keep this streak going as long as we can huh?  Loving these dumb 90s-00s thriller horror mystery movies. Resurrection is directed...