Monday, December 6, 2021

One Million Years B.C. - 1966

 This time when I grabbed the DVD it said Ray Harryhausen right on the front, and I actively made the decision to keep my little unintentional marathon going.  I don't think I'd seen this before, either!

Raquel Welch infamously stars and wears a fur bikini in this mid-60's caveman feature, and it's iconic in the look it created.  Without even thinking I know I've seen this before:

She gets introduced later in the film actually, after our main character Tumak leaves his prehistoric human group in search of something different.  After Tumak leaves, he encounters another group of humans with blond hair, and Raquel Welch is one of their group.  He fights a dinosaur, wins, and eventually leads this group to a conflict with his old group.  That's basically the plot.

I'll briefly state that this movie was really cool and innovative with it's use of no dialogue, save for grunts and some character names, and we have an extremely brief narration telling us what's going on and then we're left in silence the rest of the film. 

The other main thrust of this plot is really the different encounters with creatures.  Harryhausen cleverly interweaves real lizards, crickets, spiders and other stuff alongside the claymation dinosaurs that harass the clan of people.   There's plenty of action sequences, and most of them actually look pretty good overall.  When they create claymation people it stands out the most, but it's still fun as fuck to watch.  

I've always had a soft spot for Harryhausen effects and the way they look.  I'm going to keep this going by seeing what else the library has that have his trademark effects.  I think this is a true classic film, good for hokey laughs as good as it is for a film buff.  4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fallen - 1998

 I'm really enjoying this weird run of unknown late 90s thrillers that were either similar to Se7en, and honestly even the Hellraiser mo...