Friday, December 10, 2021

Misery - 1990

 "Write the review," I thought just now.  Then immediately thought no.  I'll settle for a short one.

Misery is a movie I've always wanted to see, and a Stephen King book I've always wanted to read.  One of these days in the winter of North Idaho, I may read the book.  I haven't read King since my 20s.

James Caan and Kathy Bates star in this adaptation, Kathy Bates won an Oscar for the role of Annie, a avid fan of author James Caan as Paul Sheldon.  Paul Sheldon is a writer trying to break out of a rut, in the beginning he has killed off his most famous character and now he's finished his new book, and he leaves his winter stay in Colorado after the book is done.  He gets in an accident on the way home, only to be rescued and brought home by Annie.  But it turns out Annie is an unstable fanatic with a violent temper.

The thrills are huge in this movie, the pacing is good, and the tension is taught.  There's a lot to say about it, but I'm not really in the mood for details right now.  Blah.  My blog y'all.

I was surprised how good this is, and it is likely the best Stephen King adaptation.  Creepy, fast paced, and never slowed down by psychological bullshit as a lot of them are.  Annie is stern and strictly evil, but still written well enough to be believable.  I give it a 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection - 1999

 Let's keep this streak going as long as we can huh?  Loving these dumb 90s-00s thriller horror mystery movies. Resurrection is directed...