Friday, September 7, 2018

Rats: Night of Terror - 1984

There's not a enough of the typically known cult films on here.  Since I called myself Grindhouse review, one would not think this to be the case.  One would be wrong.  Let's face it....  Where I am concerned, I just can't stick to one thing.  Side note:  I recently had sex with a guy again.  It didn't go too well.  Made me question if this is what I'm into.  If I can't even stick to a sexuality, what can I stick to?  It begs the question.

Rats: Night of Terror is a film which I had confused for a long time with other rat themed movies. Who knows which of those movies I've seen.  All I know is I remembered one specific scene:  a group of like 3-4 people in a dark basement room, somewhere, and finding a rat king.  I'm just going link happy today.  Since I'm on a roll, check out the other movies by Bruno Mattei I've reviewed!  Please note that in my review of Shocking Dark, I said I'd seen Rats before.  And, I might've!  Who knows really.

Rats: Night of Terror is a quintessential post-apocalypse 80's flick.  This is what the standard definition would be.  Something like Def-Con 4 and this movie belong in the same vein, they're basically blood brothers or something.  It's chalk full of post-apocalypse stereotypes.  It's the year 225 AB (After the Bomb) and the destroyed world split into two groups:  those underground and those above ground.  Some people from above ground discover one of the underground bases, and despite their superior technology and innovation, somehow they're all dead.  In the meantime, seems to be a whole lot of rats scurrying around.  Could the two be related?

Well, the answer is yes obviously.  Look at the title of the movie.  But the stereotypes don't stop there.  You have:  1 bad dubbing 2 insane looking characters 3 ridiculous names for the characters like Video and Taurus, Duke and Chocolate 4 ridiculous acting choices 5 awesome music 6 well paced action 7 eerily good and practical effects 8 nudity 9 terrible humor 10 riffability, and more.

I can't say if this movie is as memorable as some other Mattei flicks.  This I would have to say might be his best known...?  Actually according to lists I've found it's Hell of the Living Dead.  Man, just a small typo and the title Hello the Living Dead comes up.  I'm sorry, but, I want to see the movie Hello the Living Dead a lot more.  If that's not a movie it should fucking be.

I am not sure what else to say about Rats.  I'd say that of the now 4 Mattei movies I've tracked in here, I liked Shocking Dark more, and Women's Prison Massacre was very different, and enjoyable in it's own way.  This one is definitely great too.  I'd love to see more and rate them all.  On second thought, I do think Women's Prison Massacre deserves about 3 or 3.5 stars.  This movie... hm.  I feel inclined to only give it 4.  So what the heck.  4 stars.  And it got a full star for the awesome ending.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...