Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Iced - 1988

I texted my new girl, sort of paid attention, ran through a array of different emotional and sexual feelings, and generally "lived" while I watched Iced last night.  I also ate dinner.  Chicken, cauliflower and bell pepper tacos.  Don't judge me.

There's not a lot to talk about with Iced, it's some subpar late 80's horror slasher that I watched solely because it was on some dudes IMDb list of movies from the 80's that were bad.  And well, it was.  It was both from the 80's and it was bad.

Iced is a long shot from the early 80's horror flicks.  This one is a bit more self aware, it is going for a more complete story versus just delivering the scares.  It even has some Scream like self-commentary moments, but they are few and mostly amateurish.  Specifically they make comments about how there "would normally be a killer targeting the hot women, who would be killed while naked, or having sex, or both" and then later on in the movie, the women are killed while you guessed it, being naked, having sex or both.

Sex is weird huh?  I was thinking while I was watching this movie, the overarching moral lesson behind a lot of horror movies seems to be that sex is bad.  Is sex bad?  Perhaps we missed the lesson though.  Maybe it has nothing to do with sex.  My second thought is vulnerability.  I think as a species we are extremely aware of when we're vulnerable.  Physically I mean.

Sex is a very vulnerable place to be.  You're concentrating on something which is taking so much of your attention, it's an action which is not associated with your immediate survival, you're naked or undressed, you don't have your weapons or your protection with you.  Perhaps we misinterpret the moral lesson now because we see movies doing things we don't understand.  We see the killer targeting sexually active people because "sex is bad" and not because of the vulnerability factor.  Also, when it's usually the women that are killed?  The reason could more so be that the killer is eliminating our survival as a species.  We know, obviously, that the human race is going to survive an average horror movie.  But it's a microcosm for what we're ultimately afraid of in our roots as a small tribe of hunter/gatherers.  If a predator was targeting our women, we would completely die out, having no way to keep the line going without reproduction.

It's these things that make me adore horror movies.  Horror movies speak to a base primal part of who we are as people.  Provided of course that you look beyond what's immediately apparent and you're willing to dig into the root of the question "why?"  Why we're afraid of another person being the killer, for example.  It's not just cause humans are powerful and smart.  It's because we HAVE to be around other humans to survive.  As a species we're extremely vulnerable when we're alone.  Hence, we join a group, tribe if you will.  What would be worse than finding out that someone you brought into your tribe, that you trusted with your life, is now hunting you?

Iced says none of this because it settles for having a ski-masked killer hunting a group of friends at a ski resort in the mountains.  There's about 4-5 friends, and they get picked off while we get clues as to what happened, who the killer may be, and the history behind why the killer may be killing.  But mostly the focus is on some decent kills, plenty of topless scenes with big ol' titties, and average pacing/dialogue/acting/whatever else we judge these flicks by.

I sound like I liked this movie, which I guess in retrospect I did, kind of.  It was fine.  Nothing too memorable or nothing that stood out.  It worked.  I give it 2.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...