Thursday, May 23, 2024

Pharaoh's Curse - 1957

 Only off by one year when I guessed!!!

Pharaoh's Curse was one of the suggestions after I finished Spider Baby, so yea.  Why not.

There's a book I've been wanting to leaf through called Egyptmania Goes to the Movies.  I am a little bit obsessed with Egyptian lore in films, and I love the mummy stuff, the tomb stuff, the stuffy guys in almost suits getting ropes and lowering themselves into caverns...I adore this type of movie.


This is a prime example of that sorta thing, also a prime example because it is 66 minutes long, you won't remember a single character name, its harmless fluff with some awesome sequences, and it is a classic fucking CLASSIC Hollywood movie.

Early on, a captain leading an expedition starts hitting on a married woman who he is taking out the the pyramids.  She is definitely interested, and turns out she is only on the expedition to break up with her hubby anyways.  She breaks up with him about the same time he has discovered a way into the tomb, and a sarcophagus is opened, and thus they have the curse on them all.  A creepy woman appears and guys start getting picked off.

I couldn't tell you exactly why I like this movie and this genre, but it does it for me, and I would say this is right in the mix with the rest of them.  I'll give it 3.5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thunder 2 - 1987

 Who knew that the movie I randomly rented from the library a while back, Thunder, had two sequels which my Idaho library has, for WHAT reas...