Friday, January 28, 2022

Mission to Mars - 2000

 I got home from work just now thinking, ok I'll finish Mission to Mars. What? I finished it? How did it end? I didn't remember. 

This movie is directed by Brian De Palma, in an apparent experiment to make a movie as cool as the recently successful Apollo 13. 

Tim Robbins, Gary Sinise, Tim Meadows, Jerry O'Connell and Connie Nielsen are a star team of astronauts sent to Mars to rendezvous with a team there, a team that recently all but got wiped out by a huge, seemingly sentient tornado.

Wait. Sentient tornado? Sure, but you'll have to wait an hour and a half to get back to it. In the meantime, wonder of space for 45 minutes, a problem for 15, and then Mars for a few. This movie is slooooooow. 

Its by far not a bad movie, I'm not shitting on it, I just wanted a horror or a sci fi or even a space movie, but this sort of isn't any of those. What is this instead? I have no answer to this question. 

The actors are fine and nothing huge is bad UNTIL the weird ass jampacked nonsensical end. Spoilers. So they get there, we have a giant face in the ground, there's a weird cgi alien, and nothing is revealed while at the same time, everything is? I mean, this must be the only movie that confirms aliens and then has it mean nothing and in fact barely be acknowledged. I mean I'm not wrong right? There was an alien in this?

You know who's going to die, sacrifice themselves, and you know they'll be ok in the end, and overall it's one of a slew of weird Mars movies that came out around this time. 2 stars for occasional interest and the effects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection - 1999

 Let's keep this streak going as long as we can huh?  Loving these dumb 90s-00s thriller horror mystery movies. Resurrection is directed...