Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Hider in the House - 1991

I have been randomly adding movies to my Amazon queue. Hence adding a early 90s Gary Busey movie to my list.

If you're like me, you see a movie called Hider in the House with Gary Busey and its from the 90s, you think this is gonna be bad. Hammed out, low budget, ham-fisted, clumsy, low brow. It's going to be dumb n fun Saturday night entertainment.

Here's the first surprise: Hider in the House also stars Michael McKean and Mimi Rogers, as well as Bruce Glover. I gave an audible "huh!" at those credits.

The title implies the plot, which is true in this case. We see the details come into focus- Busey is a kid who was heavily abused and killed his parents in a house fire. He gets discharged from his psychiatrist and moves into the attic of a house which is then purchased by McKean and Rogers. They move in and Busey imagines himself as a fellow member, and begins to integrate himself in their lives.

So how does this succeed? The answer is in multiple ways. Number one, as I said, I underestimated it. Also, the character bits are really good. Then there's Busey turning in a good performance, there's a few good twists, and there's a growing body count. Mimi Rogers is really good in it, and the atmosphere is tense.

I thoroughly enjoyed what is essentially a cheap short Busey starring thriller. It surprised me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection - 1999

 Let's keep this streak going as long as we can huh?  Loving these dumb 90s-00s thriller horror mystery movies. Resurrection is directed...