Friday, June 4, 2021

The Day After Tomorrow - 2004

Roland Emmerich burst onto the scene and into everyone's heart in 1996 with Independence Day. It was high budget. It had great stars. It was about aliens. We loved it.

He then destroyed himself with the American Godzilla movie, and whatever came after that. I don't remember exactly, but around 2004 we all thought this was a joke. The Global Warming plot, Jake Gyllenhaal, this movie was a joke. I saw it when it was newly on the new release shelf, laughed it off, never saw it again. Until now.

I revisited A Quiet Place and me and my girl were in the mood for more destruction so we put this on. It's just over 2 hours and it's about a crazy cataclysmic 3-4 days in the warming cycle, and its got early 2000s stupidity all over it. And Jake Gyllenhaal.

This is obviously a sorta joke entry but I enjoyed this enough. It did what it was supposed to do and despite a dumb plot and plot holes I liked it. It felt like it at the time and it does again now that the whole "crisis" ends in like 15 minutes in the movie and seems like everything is basically better immediately and everyone will be fine. Also, I thought, I wonder what a sequel to this would be like?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection - 1999

 Let's keep this streak going as long as we can huh?  Loving these dumb 90s-00s thriller horror mystery movies. Resurrection is directed...